My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://meganstringfellow.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, January 2

New Year Resolutions

It's that wonderful time of the year, when you pause to take a look back, and dream about the future. I would like to take a few minutes to reflect on the blessings I was given in 2007, and share my vision for 2008.


A few of my blessing in 2007:
  • My supportive husband, and number one fan
  • A new dependable car
  • Purchasing our first home in August
  • Great inner growth and healing
  • Discovering my artistic voice
  • Turning 25!
  • Wonderful friends (both online and face-to-face)
  • My health
  • A renewal of creativity
  • Affirmation of hard work
Why I hate resolutions
I don't really enjoy making resolutions. Mostly, because usually they involve WORK, doing something I don't particularly enjoy--otherwise, I'd already be doing IT, right? Last year I resolved to working out regularly, and eating healthy, and keeping the house clean and organized. Ha. Ya, right. I did OK on the organized thing, for some of the year. But on the working out and eating well, I failed like most Americans.

But I stumbled across this post by Christine Kane that made me realize what I had been doing wrong all this time. She poses the idea instead of making DO lists for the year, rather, focus on BEING a certain way, and actions will naturally come of that. She suggests you pick one word for the year, and focus on that as your goal/motivator/resolution for the year. What a wonderful idea!

You mean I have to pick just ONE?
So, the question is, what word is right for 2008? Two came to mind immediately, HOME and HEALTH. But they seemed too different. Next, I thought about CREATE, which would encompass both home and health, but it wasn't perfect. Much like my old resolutions, it was more of a command (ie work) rather than an inspiration. Yes, I wanted to be creative, yes I wanted to "create" a beautiful home, and yes I wanted to "create" a healthy lifestyle...but "create" wasn't going to get my butt off the couch at the end of the day.

So back to the drawing board. The question is, what do I really want? I want to be in shape. I want to have a peaceful, organized, well-decorated home. I want to be successful in my art. I want my outfits to look put together and my appearance to be professional. I want my car to be shiney and clean, inside and out. I want my plants not to die (I should water them).

Finally, I realized what I want. I want to be surrounded by BEAUTY. I want a beautiful home, a beautiful Megan (inside and out), beautiful artwork, beautiful relationship, beautiful plants, a beautiful kitchen, and a beautiful work space. So this year, 2008, I will try to fill the world with as much beauty as I can, and reflect God's beauty to the world.

Happy New Year from the Stringfellow Home!
May you be able to find God's beauty in every situation life brings to you.


Clint, mom, and me feeling festive!-------->

No comments: