My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://meganstringfellow.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, September 5

Home is where the studio is...

Funny how important it is to us as artist that we have a space of our own to be creative. I know how frustrating it can be to pull out all your supplies, get everything set up, and just begin to work on a project, when *DING* its time for dinner and you need your dinning room table back.

Or worse, your art supplies begin to take over parts of the house that they don't belong. Having paint brushes in the toothbrush holder maybe a great conversation starter with company, but it is not fun when you stumble into the bathroom at 6 am to brush your teeth and reach for the wrong handle. Don't laugh. I've done it.

There is something so magical about having a space designated specifically for your art. It make it more serious. This is not just a casual hobby. No, its so important that you have carved out a special nook out of your tiny space just so you can make art magic with out interruption.

BeforeSo, you can understand my glee when two months ago, my husband and I bought our first home. When I walked upstairs and saw a nice wide open room (that used to be a second bedroom before the previous owners removed a wall), a special gleam entered my eye. In our previous apartment, my art space was my small desk. I made the most of the area by putting up shelves, but sharing the space with my computer made it difficult to work. It got messy really fast.

But here was a room large enough for both my husband and I to have our desks...plus! He was getting the two car garage he was dreaming about, and suddenly me having a real studio of my own was a real possibility. All I had to do was build some counter tops to work on, and I would be set! Of course, it was a lot of work, and took two months to complete, but it is so worth it.

No comments: